RECIPE: Foil-Wrapped Potatoes
My dad cooks a mean potato. Growing up, he always made these grilled potatoes that everyone went bonkers over. The recipe is very easy to follow and even easier to make your own. Since we had a small charcoal grill, my dad always stashed the cooked potato bundles in a small metal garbage can with a lid to keep them warm.
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Using a knife, cut potatoes, but do not cut all the way through. Each “slice” should be about 3/16” thick.
- Between each slice, add a very thin pat of butter. Repeat until each space has butter.
- Add a thin slice of onion between each slice. Repeat until each space has onion.
- Sprinkle tops of potatoes with salt, pepper, and paprika to liking.
- Wrap each potato in aluminum foil, enough to cover entire potato. Twist ends to create “handles.” Ends should be about 2-3 inches long.
- Place on BBQ grill and allow to heat until soft. Avoid direct flame.
- Remove from grill using tongs to grip “handles.” Store in heat-resistant pail until all potatoes are finished cooking.
- Carefully remove foil (be careful of steam) and enjoy with your favorite fixings!